Thursday, June 24, 2010

How Do You Handle Opposition

I have handled opposition a couple of times in my life, like the time I went to pick up an application at a job that was hiring. I went in thinking what a nice place to work, everyone is friendly here. When I went to the manager and asked for an application, he told me to wait three or four more years then ask. He didn’t give me a chance to say that I was old enough to work there. I handle the situation like the little girl from, The Fourth of July, where she wanted to come out and say something, but couldn’t. In many ways, I could see where the manager was coming from due to the fact I don’t look my age. That, however, gave him no reason to turn away from someone who was willing to work. I had an “…aspirational capital…” (“PSST Human Capital”) meaning I had the ambition to achieve something, like working, but I was wrongfully denied it. I have come to learn people judge by how you look more than how you present yourself. For example, you could be 25 yrs old and go to a bar in which you are kicked out because you looked like your only 17 yrs old. That is why I have come to combat opposition by speaking up and making sure my voice is heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment